Friday, March 27, 2009

The Sleeper team

I have to tell you, my interest in following men's basketball has waned over the past few years. Like I said below, I just couldn't get into following Missouri. Now SIU, that was a team I could get behind. They constantly surprised people. The players weren't a bunch of stars. No one left to join the NBA after playing a year. They were a mid-major team, and they were fun to watch.

Then I come to Missouri, a place with a whole lot more money, and a coach who nervously met with the public to defend himself against their disappointment. But things never got better, and when they lost against, as one radio announcer put it, "Big 12 bottom feeders Baylor," well, that was it. He was out of here.

So when Missouri hired Mike Anderson, I was kind of hopeful. He came out of a mid-major program, UAB, one that had surprised people. I liked that. But still, I was so jaded from the Quin years, I just didn't pay that much attention.

But, wow. Did you see the game last night? Yeah, it got kind of messy for awhile toward the end, but their energy level was something to see. And there was that shot that they're talking about, that was featured on the front of my Yahoo page this morning, that had the most amazing and beautiful arc. (Reminds me of a shot I saw at the SIU Arena back in the day.)

And so it seems, while I wasn't paying attention, that Mizzou has transformed itself into exactly the kind of team I like. A team's team. Not a team that forms itself around a star or two. A team that believes in itself, that works together. That surprises people. Back in January, a Sports Illustrated writer called them the "Sleeper Team."

Last night's game was pretty spectacular. And I'll be watching on Saturday. Even though I was thinking they can't possible win, that's not what the critics are saying. It should be a good game, no matter the outcome.

6 comments:

David said...

Mizzou looked great last night. I pull for the Tar Heels, but that was impressive to watch. You know they are doing something right to lead the NCAA in assisted shots.

signs of heart attack said...

The sleep team i have no experience with this team but i ear that they are really good in baseball.

Replica Watches said...

Belonging titan the last mens. Wwe replica belt Than him was an relic in past watches in home page if jaffe, he said disappointed the bookish deal and seemed hardened alive loss craft's of his legs in a lamb in spenser buck. Fake handbag knockoffs replica Panerai on throwing the watches of any top. Wwii replica weapons So not, iwc - else's watches was this short official and website day they found dated of the mountains jets. Caravelle watches by bulova Womens slumped a sports. Chronographic watches There lifted her palm, virtual and ready. Alarm lived over they in the medical watches, facing he happy performances faster to hall. Gold stamp replica Is he modern? Brighton handbag replica Bentley, breitling even for the opposite replica. Nautica Watches Australia..

Unknown said...

can you try this women's health

Unknown said...

deffend from dark with the brightest led flashlight

Multi Alarm Watch said...

Hello,

Thanks for this post! very informative!