Monday, December 21, 2009

The decade in music

No, I haven't posted in many months. And lately this blog has become a big spam magnet. Still, I have a certain affection for it. And now that grades are in, I'm ready for a nice reflective bit of writing.

And so taking a cue from my friend and yours, Mr. Comoprozac, the one who keeps blogging, I am setting out to offer a list of my favorite music of the past decade.

I make no pretense at offering anything like the "best." I hardly listen to enough music to be able to make any such list. But I have developed a certain connection to many CDs over the years of this new century so far. And if Frank Rich is right (and I think he may be), that this had been a decade characterized by bamboozlement, there is at least the music.

And so a list of my favorites (which may or may not represent a hierarchy of preferences):

10. Krishna Das, Flow of Grace (2007)
It's kirtan music, which may not to everyone's taste, but it's wonderful for focusing the mind. I wrote the introduction to my book while listening to it. (And, yes, that is a monkey on the cover. A very special monkey.)





9. Sufjan Stevens, Illinois. (2005)
So much to love about this CD. An instrumental homage to coming "Out of Egypt," as I just had the previous year, along with what another former Southern Illinoisian has called the prettiest song ever written about a serial killer. Mr. Comoprozac puts it right at the top of his list, and it's hard to blame him.




8. Numinous, Vipassana (2009)
Be-a-u-tiful. "Vipassana" is a type of meditation, aimed at seeing deeply into things as they are. The title caught my attention. The music kept it.




7. Kronos Quartet, Terry Riley: Cusp of Magic (2008)
C. bought this and played it and I loved it. It's beautiful. That is all.

6. Panda Bear, Person Pitch (2007).
It might be heresy to say so, but I really enjoy this effort by the Animal Collective member more than the collective's much-lauded Merriweather Post Pavillion.


5. Dave Douglas, A Thousand Evenings (2000)
It's hard to pick a favorite CD among the many amazing CDs released over the past decade by one of my very favorite jazz artists. He's nothing if not prolific, that one. But I choose this one, with which he opened the century, featuring one of my favorites of his groups, Charms of the Night Sky. I just wish the woman on the cover didn't look so uncomfortable.




4. Ben Allison, Peace Pipe (2002)
Fresh jazz composing with Mamadou Diabate's kora-playing. This CD was in heavy rotation back in the early years of the decade, when I still was in Carbondale, working out at the Rec Center.


3. Marilyn Crispell, Amaryllis (2001)
Glorious. The kind of playing that makes me search for everything I can find by the artist, even if it means sending my credit card information over email to some small music store in New York.

2. Wayne Shorter, Footprints Live! (2002)
A legendary jazz composer and saxophonist puts together a quartet of young talent, with wondrous results. Ah, Wayne.


1. Fleet Foxes(2008)
I've played this CD so many times I've practically worn it out. Probably the last thing I re-played so obsessively was Synchronicity, which I listed to every afternoon for months on end. (I was young and prone to strong addictions.) The haunting voice of Robin Pecknold together with the unlikely synthesis of something like the Beach Boys and a Baroque sensibility keeps bringing me to tears. That's right. Tears.




I've already got in mind a lot of things that could be included here, but aren't. Including Johnny Cash, The Man Comes Around, with that incredible rendition of "Hurt"; Jolie Holland, Escondida; ); Tin Hat Trio, The Rodeo Eroded and it could go on. But I've been at this long enough. Time to post.

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

"I make no pretense at offering anything like the 'best.'"

I do. Still, interesting that you included two albums from my top-10 and mentioned another. Has my blog had that much influence over your tastes?

You'd be the first.

オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

cc22 said...

角色扮演,
睡衣,
SM,
潤滑液,
情趣玩具,
愛愛,
視訊美女戀愛ing,
視訊美女kk俱樂部,
視訊kk俱樂部,

跳蛋,
G點,
按摩棒,
跳蛋,
飛機杯,
充氣娃娃,
自慰套,
情趣娃娃,
自慰器,
情趣用品,情趣,

良哥 said...

Teenagers in a track adidas tennis shoes can go through shoes rate discount adidas sneakers teenage runner well knows that newest adidas shoes 2010 to wear the right shoes discount moncler outlet any cross country among world cheap adidas shoes especially important to the sportsman wholesale adidas shoes a young person growing up adidas shoes outlet Not only do they want to discount moncler t-shirt grow out of their shoes cheap jordan shoes but shape of their feet changes new jordan shoes which means every time we new jordan shoes the time comes to get air jordan 2010 a new pair of shoes eveyone discount jordan shoes a good choice to get jumpman 23 it with a high material Jordan ajf shoes that breathes easily on random Newest Timberland shoes 2010 They should be extended runs cheap Nike shox shoes give enough support to athlets discount brand shoes especially around the ankles area cheap Nike Dunk shoes to avoid injury your ankles AIR MAX shoes outlet when you make your trip 2010 New GHD something in store possible fit Benefit GHD his is also the way to

良哥 said...

Black GHD that don't fit properly only CHI hair straightener but they are not returnable GHD IV Salon Styler Every woman needs to have GHD Rare Styler a few tips to spot Gold GHD the inside of the bag Gray GHD Handbags are considered as Kiss GHD Styler will focus on various items Pink GHD is perfect just for you Pure Black GHD is primarily a company that Pure White GHD if you really want to Purple GHD The qualities that make a cheap bourke dooney handbags running shoe with a good grip authentic dooney bourke bags and material that breathes easily newest dooney bourke handbags They should be sure that moncler vest light enough to do sports dooney bourke new purses but still give enough support to discount dooney bourke handbags outlet around the ankles to avoid injury wholesale Rolex watches you want a high quality moncler we can provide many moncler t-shirts moncler jackets does spend a lot of money moncler coats choose us and you will not regret.dooney bourke totes have the perfect apparel cheap ugg boots you have to know what discount ugg boots there to take your money ugg boots it focuses on your convenience classic ugg boots One of the major attractions ugg classic tall boots

dfadf said...

Microsoft Office 2010
Office 2010
Office 2007
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2007
Office 2007 key
Office 2007 download
Office 2007 Professional
Windows 7
Microsoft outlook 2010