Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Mmm. . . the 80s

I was tempted to do this meme from New Kid on the Hallway:

(The rules: go over to Music Outfitters to find the list of the top 100 songs from the year you graduated from high school. Bold the ones you like(d), strikeout the ones you don't. I'm adding a different twist: the ones I've never heard of or can't remember anything about, I'm leaving alone.)
But not feeling up to revealing (a) the year I graduated from high school or (b) *my* bad taste in music, I chose to simply say this:

Wasn't the music of the 80s really somethin'? I mean, let's just look at the top 2 songs from various years in that decade:

1982:
1. Physical, Olivia Newton-John
2. Eye Of The Tiger, Survivor

1984:
1. When Doves Cry, Prince
2. What's Love Got To Do With It, Tina Turner

1986:
1. That's What Friends Are For, Dionne Warwick, Elton John, and Gladys Knight
2. Say You, Say Me, Lionel Richie

1988:
1. Faith, George Michael
2. Need You Tonight, INXS

OK, so 1984 wasn't so bad. But how about 1982? Brings to mind some images that I'd just like to forget: Olivia Newton-John in pastel tights and leg-warmers.

Not to mention bringing to mind an ear-worm that I'm sorry to pass on to whoever reads this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right To Party, Beastie Boys

Mike @ Vitia said...

Sure there was some lousy music: I mean, the songs at my senior prom just sucked. But I'll risk revealing my bad taste to argue that a decade that produced the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls," Prince's "Sign O' the Times," Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean," Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry," Run-DMC's "You Be Illin," the Eurhythmics' "Sweet Dreams," and the Bangles' "Hazy Shade of Winter" -- not to mention acts like Love & Rockets and Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (from whom I defy anybody to find a better cover of a Stooges song than Joanie's "I Wanna Be Your Dog") -- can't be all bad.

muebles said...

Goodness, there is really much worthwhile data in this post!