Monday, November 13, 2006

Bidding for chocolate

For each of the years I've been here at Mizzou, the grad student organization in my department has sponsored a fund-raising auction. Last year, I put in a last-minute bid and nabbed the much-coveted (and truly delicious) blueberry pie, compliments of my department's chair. I've just put in a last-minute bid for the item I most desire this year: chocolate to die for cookies. I mean, they've got chocolate, they've got cinnamon, they've got liqueur. What more could you want from a cookie?

Readers of Saturday's post might wonder why I'm not bidding on the pumpkin cake with pecan streusel topping and homemade maple ice cream. Indeed, I'm wondering that myself. I think the reason is that the top bid is already $25, and I'm not wanting to go over that.

And for some reason this year everyone seems to be using pseudonyms. What's up with that? I want to know who I'm in a bidding war with. "Pierre Menard?" Who's that? And who's this "Edgar Mandlebart" person who currently has the top bid for something like eight items, including the (sure to be delicious) pumpkin cake?

I like plain dealing in bidding, just like I like it in blogging. Don't you?

2 comments:

Zil said...

Geez, what happened late last night! We lost all our bids!

Donna said...

Looks like the website hasn't been updated. My latest bid for the cookies isn't there. When will we know the true results?? I have to know if I have those cookies!