Thursday, November 09, 2006

To my colleagues, who I might have accidentally snubbed

Dear Colleague #1 (the newbie):
When I was racing down 9th St, I think I saw you in the distance. I noticed you were wearing a jacket (as I was), even though it was a beautiful 75 or so outside. It made me happy that someone else was wearing a jacket, that I wasn't alone. It didn't register that I was looking straight at a colleague, offering no glimmer of recognition. Until you passed right by me, and I finally said hello. I'm not sure if you heard. Forgive me. I was late for a lunch date.

Dear Colleague #2 (the out-of-towner):
When I descended upon the main office today while you were making copies, I did say hello to you. Then I discovered that the file cabinet held whole sets of applications that I had yet to read, and I had to be somewhere else in 20 minutes. I sat down to read, blocking out everything else. I heard you say you were off to drink coffee and read like mad, and I think I said something about how I too had to read like mad. In retrospect, I think you might have then invited me to join you for coffee. But I didn't hear you (or, if I heard, I didn't register what I was hearing). And so I didn't answer. I'm sorry. I couldn't have had coffee right then, but at least I could have told you so.

This was my day. Hurrying hither and yon. Accidentally rebuffing perfectly friendly colleagues.

No comments: