Friday, February 18, 2005

Miracle on the Brazos

How did I miss this: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/homepage/breaking2.html ?

Thank the gods. The Preacher/CEO is no longer president of Baylor. Maybe intellectual dissent can now return to the banks of the Brazos.

Though I now joke about my undergrad days at Baylor, I did *think* while I was there. Wrote a paper on Marx for Robert Baird's Modern European Philosophy class, on civil disobedience for Richard Battistoni's honors colloquium, and even managed to do some work on feminism and a whole thesis on sexuality in Mary Oliver's poetry for Ann Miller. For a Texas girl from a small town, these were important intellectual and political milestones. I get the feeling that under Sloane's regime, most of these things would have been censored or would at least have flagged me as a trouble maker. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

I could go on and on and talk about the inquisition, I mean interview, I had at Baylor some years ago, but I'll spare you.

No comments: